Monday, February 07, 2005

I've seen your flag on the marble arch...

They're getting off. All of them. Not a single one of them is getting written up for anything. As I'm sure I will find out on Thursday, that includes me.

However, letters are being sent home outlining the situation and giving parents the opportunity to view the pictures for themselves. For some people, this turned out to be a traumatic decision. But, in respect for the people involved, I'm not going to go into that.

I don't understand this, though. No fewer than three people on this floor have been or are on probation for alcohol. On a floor of sixteen people, is this not a red flag of some sort?

The authorities have dropped the ball. Many, many times. Some things I said, assuming them to be in confidence, were used to bust my roommate in October. The RA on our floor, kind as he is, is either naive or ignorant. I've heard him tell another RA that it was OK that they were partying with alcohol. (Not in so many words, but he saw the alcohol and let it go.) And now, as some people are making a genuine effort to stop and to not drink, they're cracking down based on pictures.

Which is pretty stupid to begin with.

Right here was where, when I originally wrote this post, I said some things I might regret in the future, if more people read them. To the person who informed me of how this could happen, thanks. But I am still going to address what I was thinking about it.

It's not so much that the pictures were online. Most of us have pictures online. This includes myself. It's not even the captions on the pictures, which all of you in the know have to admit, were pretty boneheaded. Witty, but boneheaded, considering the circumstances. It was more the fact that nobody seemed to be irritated that it was these pictures that busted us that I don't understand. Nobody...well, almost nobody was pissed off. Why is this? People were in danger of hitting their second offense, and nobody cared, it seemed.

Maybe it was confidence of innocence. I know that that's what kept me from doing anything, really. I knew and still know that I'm in the clear. But not everybody could say that. Not everybody was in innocuous positions in those pictures. Not everybody was only working on their first offense...

What I mean to say, I guess, is that anger would have been justified, and I can't figure out why there was none. I'm not sure if this is an advantage or a disadvantage of Darkside and its closeness. Maybe it's both. People probably should have gotten angry, but not livid.

I know this isn't going to be taken the way I'd want it to, but right now, I want them to get busted. Reality check, people. You've skated by for far too long, and there's no way that this will be the end of the 'crackdown on fourth floor.' I don't know. I can definitely see the benefits of a raid. However, I can see the downsides as well.

I want to address something that's been on my mind lately, but I'm not sure if this is the proper medium in which to do it. I'll probably give it a day, do it tomorrow if I decide that it's fair game for this type of presentation.

I also plan on making another church-related post sometime soon. There have been some new developments I'd like to react to, and as I originally created this with the intent of giving me somewhere to vent about my church situation, I'm going to use it.

That's enough for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home